Up-to-the-Minute FAQs


You’ve got questions? We’ve got answers! Here is where you’ll find the information to satisfy your burning questions. While some content on this page will stay the same, we’re always updating it with new material to reflect what you have questions about depending on the time of year.

International Students

Please review the email you recieved from LFS Student Services (lfs.advising@ubc.ca) on August 23, 2022 for details. However, here is some helpful information:

Our strong recommendation is that you should arrive and attend in-person classes no later than Monday September 12. For many first-year science courses, especially those with labs, you will not be permitted to join in-person classes or labs after this date.

If you are not able to join in-person classes on or before Monday, September 12, we recommend you look for space in courses offering “online” or “hybrid” modes of delivery for your Term 1 courses, and modify your registration, where possible.

  • Please note, most science classes offered in a “hybrid” format still require in-person assessments, such as midterms and finals, so they cannot be completed fully online. This means that you must be in Vancouver to write these exams. You can confirm details of when and how your assessments will be administered by reviewing the course syllabus available through Canvas.

Due to the limited number of courses offered in fully-online formats in Term 1, it may not be possible to modify your schedule to accommodate for a delayed in-person arrival to campus this fall. As such, please make note of the University’s add/drop deadline: Monday, September 19. This is the last date by which you can make changes to your Term 1 timetable without penalty.

Unfortunately, starting in January is not usually a viable option, as many Term 2 courses have Term 1 pre-requisites, which limits your course options significantly. If you are unable to attend in-person or reasonably modify your term one timetable, we encourage you to review the details of deferring your admission to September 2023 (the July 1 deadline has been extended for students with delayed study permits).

Here are some resources which may answer some of your questions related to Jump Start, housing, and other helpful information:

Campus Safety Measures

Please make sure you read the information UBC is posting here. It is important that you are informed on the latest information regarding COVID-19 safety measures on campus, including mask mandates, vaccine disclosure requirements, and the impacts these will have on your academic and non-academic experience at UBC this year.

New Degree Changes

If you joined Food Science or the Food and Nutritional Sciences Double Major in the 2021 Winter Session or earlier, you are required to continue to follow the degree requirements listed on the 2021/2022 Academic Calendar, which you can find here and here, and follow the Restricted Electives list for students who declared their major in 2021W or earlier.

If you joined Food Science or the Food and Nutritional Science Double Major in the 2022 Winter Session or later, you are required to follow the new degree requirements listed on the 2022/2023 Academic Calendar, which you can find here and here.

If you have any questions, you can contact the Food Science and Food and Nutritional Sciences Double Major Program Advisor through this online request form.

If you joined the Food, Nutrition and Health major in the 2021 Winter Session or earlier, you are required to follow the “FNH General/Food Science/Food and Nutritional Sciences Major (major declared 2021W or earlier)” list.

If you joined the Food, Nutrition and Health major in the 2022 Winter Session or later, you are required to follow the “FNH General (major declared 2022W and beyond)” list.

If you have any questions, you can contact the Food, Nutrition and Health Program Advisor through this online request form.

Degree Requirements

The courses you need to take depend on the program you’re in, the major you've declared or are planning to pursue, and the year you declared your major. Your degree requirements can be found on the Academic Calendar page for your program and/or major. Your degree requirements are specific to the year that you declared your major, so you should always make sure to select the correct version of the Academic Calendar to view your requirements. You can find archived versions of the Academic Calendar by navigating to Academic Calendar > Calendar History > Calendar Archive.

Students in most programs/majors who have selected their major can also view their degree requirements on Degree Navigator. To access Degree Navigator, navigate to SSC > Registration > Degree Navigator - Vancouver > Select your program/major > Change dropdown menu to "Audit - UBC Report". Do not change the "Version" on Degree Navigator, as it has been set to the year you declared your major.

Restricted Electives are listed according to your program and major here.

Learn how to apply to change your degree program here. Students are also encouraged to contact LFS Student Services to learn more about transferring, and their options inside and outside of LFS

For additional information, please visit the following Faculty-specific websites for more information on transfer requirements:

You can find information about this requirement here.

Please review the New Degree Changes FAQ section for more information. If you have questions about this, please contact LFS Student Services.

LFS Students should be following their degree requirements as they’re outlined in the UBC Academic Calendar (and/or Degree Navigator). Following your degree requirements is essential for degree progress, year promotion, and ensuring a smoother transition from year to year, as your degree requirements have been arranged in a specific way for several reasons.

You may be able to take (some) courses out of order, but it’s recommend that you check with LFS Student Services first, to discuss your academic plan.


You can find more information about this here. Once you’ve reviewed this information, if you still have questions about registering for courses, please contact LFS Student Services.

If a course is blocked from registration, it usually means that there is a waitlist for the course. Check to see if there is a waitlist available, and if there’s a waitlist, please register onto it. If the waitlist is full, please keep checking to see if space on the waitlist becomes available (as you won’t be able to register into the course, as it’s blocked, even if you see spots available). It’s a good idea to check for space as frequently as possible (ex. every hour, every few hours).

If there is no waitlist available, check to see if there is a note on the UBC Course Schedule regarding why that particular course/section is blocked. If there is no note, the course may be full at that time.

Some courses are blocked because they require special approval by your Program Advisor - so you won’t be able to register into the course yourself. Some examples of these types of courses are: Directed Studies, Career Internship, Undergrad Thesis/Essay, etc. Please review this website for more information.

That decision is up to you as it depends on the student. How many courses do you want to take each term? Do you have other commitments outside of school such as work or volunteering? Most students take 9-15 credits per term, so this would be 3-5 courses maximum. Please note, if you end up taking a reduced course load, this may delay your graduation, but students can try and catch up on course work over the summer (if the courses are offered).

We recommend that students prioritize taking core/required courses during the Winter Sessions. Students can more easily defer some electives or courses that are traditionally offered in summer sessions the following summer. Please be aware of course prerequisites (ensure you are meeting them or going through your courses in a general sequential order) and Year Promotion requirements for the following year – there may be some courses that are best taken in the Winter Session and not deferred to the summer!

Our Faculty does not have a definition for “full-time” or “part-time” status, as we do not require students to take a minimum number of courses per year i.e. if you want to take 1 course per term, that’s fine! It will just take you longer to complete your degree. Having said that, students need to ensure they meet the minimum credit requirements for:

  • On campus student housing (residence)
  • Maintaining your eligibility for any current or future scholarships, funding and/or student loans. (Please refer to your Enrolment Services Professional for more information).
  • Immigration requirements (study permit requirements and requirements to work on and off-campus).

All students are allowed to take a maximum of 32-33 credits a year, which is ~5 courses a term. For more information, please read the following page. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact LFS Student Services.

Please note, there is a pre-set limit to the number of credits you’re allowed to take per term – waitlists contribute to your overall credit requirement.

Check to see if you meet the prerequisites for the course. If you don’t meet the prerequisites, you aren’t eligible to take the course.

Check to see what the seat restrictions are (please review other FAQ’s for more information).

If you meet the prerequisites/remaining seat restrictions for the course and there is still space available, you should be able to register for it.

If a section says “restricted” beside it on the UBC Course Schedule, it does not mean it is restricted to you (or not for you), specifically. It means that only restricted seats are available. Those restricted seats are allocated to various groups of students which could include year standing, Faculty (LFS, Science, etc.), a specific program (must be in BSFN) or grade (ex. must have 75% or above to take this course). In some cases a portion of the seats are reserved so that students who require this course to complete their program can register. In other cases, an entire course is restricted because students can only take it if they are in a specific program.

You need to look at what the restricted seats are for each course and each section of a course that you want to take to see if you meet them, as they can vary between sections, and they can also change throughout the day during registration. If you meet the seat restrictions and you meet the prerequisites for the course, and there is space available, you should be able to register for the course.

If there are general seats available (seats that don’t have any restrictions on them, other than the course prerequisites), then any student should be able to register for those seats.

A prerequisite is a course that you need to have completed prior to registering for the selected course. If you don’t meet the prerequisite for a course, you are not eligible to take it.

For information on what a seat restriction is, please review other FAQ’s for more information.

Students need to meet the prerequisites for a course and meet the seat restrictions, to be eligible to take a course.

With worklists, you can “test” your registration prior to your registration date/time. Many courses will have prerequisites and say “Restricted” on the UBC Course Schedule. For more information about this, please review please review other FAQ’s for more information.

Is the warning you’re seeing in yellow or red?

  • If it’s in yellow, it’s simply just a warning to remind students to check that they are indeed eligible for the course. If you do have the prerequisites, you can ignore the error – when your date/time opens, you should be able to register yourself into the course, seats permitting. There is no need to contact the Faculty or department advisor regarding registration, despite the error message above.
  • If it’s in red, you don’t meet the course restrictions/prerequisites and you will not be able to register yourself into the course. If you feel this is an error and you do actually meet the prerequisites for a course (via transfer credits, etc.), please try and register onto a corresponding waitlist first and then contact LFS Student Services for additional help/questions.

A prerequisite is a course that the student must have completed prior to registering for the selected course.

A corequisite is a course that the student must take prior to OR concurrently with the selected course. The UBC Course Schedule and some course descriptions show prerequisite/corequisite requirements where applicable.

If you’re a 2nd-year standing student in LFS – you may receive a warning that you won’t be able to register unless you declare a specialization (which is the same thing as a major in LFS). This is normally done through the Student Service Centre (SSC) but in the few days before your registration opens, this function is not available.

We recommend waiting until your registration opens and then trying again. You should be able to declare your specialization then by:

  • Logging into your SSC under “Registration”, and select the correct campus and session.
  • Select specialization from the browse menu to see a list of all degree programs with specializations.
  • Select your degree program.
  • Select your area of specialization from the subject list.
  • Click add spec.

You will only be able to self-declare a non-competitive major. Find more information on choosing a major.

Credit/D/Fail is an option for students only in those courses not related to their degree/program/major of study. For example, if you’ve never taken Portuguese before and you want to learn another language, or if you’re wanting to take a choir or drawing class, but you have no experience with choir/drawing, then this may be a good option for you.

LFS students may only take Unrestricted elective courses as Credit/D/Fail – Credit/D/Fail is NOT permitted for required core courses or restricted electives in LFS.

Please note that Credit/D/Fail may affect your eligibility for scholarships, awards, and/or funding, or your admissibility to other professional or graduate programs later on. So it is recommended that you check with LFS Student Services before taking a course as Credit/D/Fail. You can learn more about this in the UBC Academic Calendar.

Please note, you are not permitted to switch from %-graded assessment to Cr/D/Fail after the drop deadline - you can also visit here for details on the timelines within which you can make this decision and implications of this decision.

Registering onto a waitlist is the only way to show interest in a course, when a course is already full or blocked from further registration. Another reason you may need to register onto a waitlist is if your transfer credits are generic (ex. CHEM 1st(4)) as the system won’t recognize them. Some courses have waitlists, and others don’t, so it’s important to check if a waitlist is available when a course is blocked/full. Seats usually open up in a course because students make changes to their schedules leading up to the add/drop deadlines each term. When this happens, students on the waitlist will be moved from the waitlist into the corresponding section in a priority sequence, by the department.

If you see a spot become available, you do not need to do anything! Do not remove yourself from the waitlist and try to register into the course, as you will lose your spot on the waitlist (as well as your priority).

If you are on a waitlist, keep checking your SSC to see if you have been moved into the corresponding course. Students are not normally notified when they have been moved from the waitlist into the corresponding section.

The department will monitor waitlists throughout the summer and into the start of term, therefore please be patient if you see a seat available. It is not an automatic process.

Lastly, being on a waitlist doesn’t guarantee that you will get into a course, but it is often the only way to be considered for a course if it’s blocked from further registration.

Like the name says: just...wait! For LFS courses, we are reviewing seat availability in sections and moving students off the wait list (in priority sequence) in to available seats as we are able. For courses in other departments (like BIOL, CHEM, etc.), they are doing the same. Just keep your eye on your list of registered courses in your SSC as you may not always receive an email notifying you that you have been added to a class.

All wait lists are done manually, and staff will be accommodating as many students as they can all the way up to the published add deadlines of each term.

Are you confused about some of the terms used on the UBC Course Schedule? Are you wondering what they mean (such as Unreleased, Cancelled, STT)? For a full glossary, please check out the UBC Course Schedule here.

No, you don’t have to take summer courses if you don’t want to. Some students take summer courses to catch up on coursework or to try and get ahead on their coursework, but it’s not a requirement.

You can certainly take distance courses if you want to. However, if you are planning on applying for US Student Aid/US funding (now or any time during your studies at UBC), please check with your ESA to determine if you’re eligible to take distance courses.

You are allow to take a course at another institution while you are registered at UBC. However, you are only allowed to take a course at another institution and have the credit transferred to your UBC degree if you have previously been approved for a Letter of Permission (LOP) with our office. Please review this website for more information.

You can learn more about this here – but please get in touch with LFS Student Services for more information.

In the Course Schedule, you will see two columns called “Mode of Delivery” and “Course Requires In-Person Attendance” for each activity (in addition to days, start time, end time, etc.). Look to these columns for details. Here’s what you may see:

Mode of Delivery = In-person, Online or Hybrid

  • In-person = course is offered in-person
  • Online = course is offered online
  • Hybrid = course will have combination of in-person and online activities

Course Required In-Person Attendance = Yes, No, See Section Comments

  • Yes = yes, you have to show up in this class in person
  • No = no, you do not have to participate in person
  • See Section Comments = see the ‘Section comments’ column for details, as this course doesn’t fit neatly in to one box or the other. You will want to read these carefully so you understand what the expectations are for you.

Of course, if you have any questions, please contact LFS Student Services and we'll do our best to help you interpret what's posted.

Synchronous means ‘at the same time’, and refers to course activities that require you to be logged on at the set time for your class listed in the course schedule. This could be live lectures, midterms or quizzes, group project work, or other activities that are scheduled and must be completed at that time. Asynchronous is the opposite of this - coursework that can happen at any time, allowing you to work on your own schedule (while still keeping deadlines in mind, of course!). This could be recorded lectures, readings, Canvas quizzes, or homework assignments.

Your classes may be using synchronous or asynchronous methods, or a combination of both. Each instructor will decide on the best methods to engage the course and allow students to meet the learning objectives that have been set out. Your course syllabus and Canvas will provide you with the details.

If you are interested in registering in courses that have a conflict, you need permission from both instructors to take the classes. You need to have them e-sign the official 'UBC Conflict Registration Form' and then submit the signed document to LFS Student Services at lfs.advising@ubc.ca with the words "Conflict Registration Form" in the subject heading of your email. Download the form here.

Course-Specific Information

FNH 160 & 161 are two new courses (as of 2022W) designed to fulfil the anatomy and physiology requirements for the Food, Nutrition and Health program. New FNH students and students who have not previously completed BIOL 155 should prioritize taking FNH 160 & 161 over BIOL 155. Students with transfer credits for BIOL 155 or 153 will be able to use these credits to fulfill the FNH 160 & 161 requirements.

The Mathematics Department is no longer offering MATH 102, 104, 184, 103, and 105. Students who are required to take Differential Calculus should now select from MATH 100, 180 and 110 (according to their prerequisite level), and students required to take Integral Calculus should now select MATH 101.

Lecture sections for MATH 100, 101 and 180 with the letter "A" have applications to Physical Sciences and Engineering. Lecture sections with the letter "B" have applications to Biology and Life Sciences. Lecture sections with the letter "C" have applications to Commerce and Social Sciences. For more information, see the Mathematics Department website.

There are a lot of first-year Math courses at UBC and it can be confusing trying to figure out which courses you have to take! Please review the Math Departments website for a complete breakdown of the courses and requirements. It is highly recommend that you review this website before registering for your first-year math courses.

  • Differential Calculus: MATH 100, 180, 110 are all equivalent, but with different prerequisites, which is based on your high school Pre-Calculus grade and whether or not you took any calculus in high school. MATH 100 is generally recommended for all of our undergraduate programs, but we will accept any of the courses listed here towards this degree requirement.
  • Integral Calculus: MATH 101 is recommended for our undergraduate programs.

The Microbiology and Immunology Department at UBC is no longer offering MICB 201 and MICB 202. Students who are required or wish to take MICB 201 should now register for MICB 211, and students who are required or wish to take MICB 202 should now register for MICB 212. You can find more information on the Microbiology website.

The Physics Department updated their course codes, so you may see some changes to course codes at the first-year level. We strongly encourage you to review the information the Physics Department has posted online.

The new course codes will be accepted in place of their equivalents for the purpose of year promotion and to meet degree requirements. However, if you have any questions, you're welcome to contact LFS Student Services.

Everything you need to know about BIOL 112 registration can be found on the UBC Microbiology Departments website here.

BIOL 140 is a first-year biology laboratory course – students need to register for the “primary section” before they can register into the lab section they want. To register into this course, you need to:

  • Register in 2 activity types (Lecture and Laboratory) to complete registration
  • Register into BIOL 140 sec 101 (in Term 1) or sec 201 (in Term 2). These are considered the primary sections - there are no meetings times for these sections.
  • Then register for a lab section (BIOL 140 sec 1XX) based on the term that you want that also fits your timetable. If there is no room in the lab section you want, register into another section if one is available. If waitlists are available register onto the waitlist for that section (waitlists will not be released until all sections are full). If there is no room on the waitlist, try another waitlist section.

BIOL 200 is a core second-year required course needed by many students. As the demand for this course is high, registration for the course can be challenging. Please read through this information very carefully so that you register for the course correctly!

  • Students need to register in all 3 activity types (Lecture, Laboratory and Tutorial) to complete registration.
  • To begin, you must register in BIOL200-000 (the “primary section”). You cannot access any of the other components of the course (lectures, lecture waitlists or tutorials) until you get a seat in the 000 section.

    • BIOL 200 uses a staggered seat release so about 1/3 of the seats per section per day will be released during the week of 2nd year registration as stated here.
    • If you successfully register into BIOL 200 000, but all lecture sections are full (ex. BIOL 200 101) or the sections that have space don’t work with your timetable, register onto a waitlist (BIOL 200 1W2) that works with your timetable. You can only register onto one of these specific waitlists if you’ve already registered for BIOL 200 000.
    • Once the 000 section is full, it will be blocked, and a waitlist for 000 will be opened. Its number is BIOL200-0W0 and you should register for the waitlist.
    • Biology never registers more students in 000 than they have seats for in lecture/ tutorial. Lecture and tutorial sections sometimes look like they have seats because students who are already in 000 have not completed their registration.
  • Anyone registering for BIOL 200 with any kind of transfer credit, or an equivalency that is not listed in the UBC Course Schedule, will receive a notification that they do not have the pre-requisites. If you are sure you have the pre-requisites, please disregard that message.

    • The registration system is not able to assess non-traditional credits, so it may send you a notification in error; however, Biology has set up the course so that the system cannot block you from registering in BIOL200 for that reason. If you are blocked from registration, it will be because the course is full/blocked, you are trying to register in a lecture/ tutorial without being registered in 000, or there is some kind of conflict in your timetable. Please read your warning message carefully and completely, and look to see if the 0W0 waitlist has been opened.
  • Biology works hard to help everyone get where they want to be in BIOL200, but sometimes it takes a while. Registration in BIOL200 continues to change (sometimes dramatically) right up to the add/drop deadline in September, so even if it’s challenging at first, please keep trying! Patience and perseverance generally pay off with BIOL200.
  • The Biology Department posts regular updates related to BIOL 200 registration during the registration period. Please check there first.
  • Do not contact the course instructors regarding registration issues. For other issues please check here for contact details.

If you took CHEM 121/123 here at UBC or you have transfer credits for CHEM 121/123, you can register for CHEM 233. If CHEM 233 is full, please register onto the waitlist.

However, if you have generic transfer credits (ex. CHEM 121 and CHEM 1st(4) or CHEM 1st(6 or 8) you’ll need to waitlist for CHEM 233. If you want more information about chemistry course registration, please review the Chemistry Department’s website.

If you failed CHEM 233 and you took CHEM 121/123 here at UBC or you have direct transfer credits for CHEM 121/123, you should be able to register for or waitlist for CHEM 233 when it’s offered next.

If you failed CHEM 233 and you have generic first-year chemistry transfer credits (ex. CHEM 1st(4)), you’ll need to take CHEM 123 at UBC before you can attempt CHEM 233 again. So please try and register for CHEM 123 as soon as possible. You can learn more about this requirement here.

No, but you can take BIOL 153 or CAPS 301 as an alternative course. If you have questions about this, please contact LFS Student Services.

Transfer Students/Transfer Credits

  • Learn about how your transfer credits are assessed and applied here and here.
  • If you are Year 2 standing and have declared a major/specialization, logging on to your Degree Navigator will show you how your transfer credit have been applied to your degree at UBC. Please note, while Degree Navigator is a very useful tool, transfer credits can occasionally be placed incorrectly. If you believe this is the case, please contact LFS Student Services to remedy the situation.
  • If you have not yet declared a major, you can also view your transfer credits through your Student Service Centre (SSC) under Grades & Records. You’ll need to choose ‘UBC-V’ as the campus, to accurately see your transfer credits.

This is a type of transfer credit called unassigned credit. Unassigned credit may be granted when course-to-course equivalency cannot be established. The name “PHIL” indicates which course code the course is most equivalent to at UBC (in this case, Philosophy). The “2nd” indicates what year level the credit has been assigned (in this case, it is a second year or 200-level equivalent course). The number in parentheses (3) indicates how many transfer credits you have been awarded for that course. Learn more about Transfer Credit definitions here.

  • Please find information on IB and AP transfer credit on the UBC Calendar here.
  • Please find information related to A-level transfer credits here.
  • You can also learn more about receiving first-year credit here.

If you are a transfer student into LFS, you are not required to take LFS 100 001. However, you must complete an exemption quiz in order to waive this requirement – therefore please register for LFS 100 XMT when you register for courses in June/July. You must be registered in LFS 100 XMT to receive information about the LFS 100 Exemption Quiz. An "exemption" is not the same as "credit". You may need to make up this 1 credit to meet your graduation requirements.

  • The LFS 100 exemption quiz is an exam that transfer students are eligible to complete so that they don’t need to actually take LFS 100 (a course that is designed for first-year students new to university life). Transfer students who are eligible to take this exam must register for LFS 100 XMT during their registration period, and will then be sent instructions in August of how to complete the exam online.
  • If you would rather attend LFS 100 001 even if you are eligible for the exemption quiz, you may do so and register for a regular section of LFS 100.
  • PLEASE NOTE: If you are required to maintain a minimum credit load this year for reasons such as student loans, student housing, awards/scholarships, etc., please consider your eligibility requirements before electing to take the LFS 100 exemption quiz. If you are unsure if you meet these requirements please contact LFS Student Services. International students with student loan funding are encouraged to contact Student Services regarding the LFS 100 Exemption Quiz.

Please see UBC’s maximum allowable transfer credit policy here. Generally, no more than 60 credits may be transferred or 50% of required program credits.

While you were a UBC student during your time studying in another program, the same maximum allowable transfer credit policy (as above) does apply. Students must complete a minimum of 50% of their required program credits in both the program and Faculty they wish to graduate from.

  • As part of the evaluation for admission to an undergraduate degree program, your previous post-secondary education is assessed for eligible transfer credit by the UBC Admissions Office. All transfer credit received, up to the maximum allowable total is applied to your degree using your Degree Navigator.
  • If you feel an error has been made in the transfer credit process, please visit the calendar here, and contact LFS Student Services.

Please see the UBC Academic Calendar for information on changing campuses. You can use the UBC Equivalency Search for more information about how you can use your UBC-O courses towards your degree requirements here. It is very important to note that students transferring between the two UBC campuses are not awarded “transfer credit” as students from other institutions receive. Your UBC-O courses are all transferable to UBC-V, but please note this does not mean they will all receive exact course equivalency for your UBC-V requirements. Please contact LFS Student Services if you have additional questions.

Degree Navigator

You can access Degree Navigator by following these steps:

  • Log on to your SSC
  • Select "Registration" and "Degree Navigator - Vancouver" from the top navigation tabs.
  • Select your current program and major.
  • Change the dropdown menu to "Audit - UBC Report".
  • Do not change your "Version", as it has been set to the year that you declared your major. You are required to follow the degree requirements for the year that you selected your major or program.

Invalid courses are listed at the bottom of the page under “Invalid Courses”, and are courses that are not eligible to be used for your degree. These courses may be invalid due to:

  • Credit exclusion
  • Failed Grade
  • Standing Deferred (will be revalidated automatically once final mark is entered)
  • Not for credit in the Faculty of Land and Food Systems
  • Courses from your High School Record
  • If a course is listed as invalid and you believe it shouldn’t be, please contact LFS Student Services.

The red “x”s identify courses you still have to complete, according to your degree requirements. If you believe you have already completed a course that has a red “x” next to it, please contact LFS Student Services to discuss your Degree Navigator with an Academic Advisor.

Please contact an Academic Advisor at LFS Student Services to discuss any potential errors you may see in your Degree Navigator.

Please contact an Academic Advisor at LFS Student Services to discuss any potential errors you may see in your Degree Navigator.

  • First, double check the approved Restricted Elective list to see if the course you are wondering about is on the list for your respective program and major. If the course is on the approved list for your major, please contact LFS Student Services to remedy the error.
  • If the course is not on the approved Restricted Elective list for your program, you may be able to use it as an Unrestricted Elective. Learn about the difference between Restricted and Unrestricted Electives here.
  • If you are interested in taking a course that is not an approved Restricted Elective for your major, and have a valid reason as to how it contributes to your studies in relation to your major, you may contact your Program Advisor to discuss the potential of a one-time approval for it to be used as a Restricted Elective. Please note approvals are made at the Program Advisor’s discretion and students are encouraged to advocate for themselves and their learning goals when approaching taking different electives.

Academic Concessions

If you have missed an exam, please visit here for more information. Be aware, students who miss exams for any reason will need to provide documentation supporting their need to miss and/or defer their exam.

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please contact your doctor or appropriate medical professional. If your medical emergency is going to impact your academics, you can find very specific instructions about what to do next here.

If you are experiencing a challenging personal issue, please review this website for instructions on what to do next. You may also wish to seek out support from UBC Counselling Services, or utilize the Here2Talk program.

Final Exams

a. Please visit UBC’s Enrolment Services Exam website for more information on when exam schedules are released each term.

No. Making travel plans before your exams are over is not an appropriate reason to miss or defer an exam. Read more information about this in the Academic Calendar.

If you have to make travel plans before the exam schedule is released, please make them for after the last day of the official exam period.

Once released, you may view your exam schedule through your Student Service Centre (SSC).

You may also view the entire exam schedule here.

First, we encourage you to review UBC’s exam policies in the UBC Academic Calendar to learn about how exam clashes and hardships are defined.

If you still have concerns or believe you have an exam hardship or clash, please contact LFS Student Services.

Students are expected to sit all of their exams, but if extenuating circumstances arise, please review FAQ #1 under "Academic Concessions" above and this page for more information. Be aware, students who miss exams for any reason will need to provide documentation supporting their need to miss and/or defer their exam.

Sessional Evaluations

Please review the following website for more information.

Please review the UBC Academic Calendar for more information about Academic Probation.

If you’re placed onto Academic Probation, we have a few recommendations that may help you to be successful in your next year:

  • Take a reduced course load to help you focus on the courses you are taking and help you do well in them. We recommend taking 3 or 4 courses per term maximum. However please note, it is still your responsibility to ensure you are maintaining your eligibility for any current or future scholarships, funding and/or student loans, student housing, etc.
  • Choose appropriate courses: Focus on required/core courses and Restricted Electives only. Unrestricted Electives are not permitted. We want to see you doing well in the courses that are required for your program/major of interest.
  • Take some time to review the campus resources/supports available at UBC – some important websites we recommend you review are: Student Services, The Learning Commons and AMS Tutoring.

An “Advising Block” is a block placed on a student’s registration, which will prevent them from registering, even after their registration date/time, until they have connected in with an advisor in LFS Student Services.

“Advising Required” is not a block – you will still be able to register for courses when your date/time opens but the student still needs to connect in with LFS Student Services.

There is always a reason for this block - we usually place an advising block/required after Sessional Evaluations in May and only if we need you to get in touch with us; it is usually related to academic advising or course planning – it’s nothing scary!

You can see if you have an “Advising Block” or “Advising Required” on your registration on your SSC in late May/early June, after Sessional Evaluations. If you see this, please contact our office as soon as possible, preferably before your registration date/time opens, and we’ll help you!

LFS Students should be following their degree requirements as they’re outlined in the UBC Academic Calendar (and/or Degree Navigator).

Students can certainly take non-LFS courses (Arts/Commerce/Forestry/Kinesiology courses etc.), but you can only take up to 6 credits of Unrestricted Electives (unless your major requires more than this) in a Winter Session. If you take more unrestricted electives than this, you will be considered in “Program Deficiency” at the end of the Winter Session, when we conduct Sessional Evaluations. If you are determined to be in "Program Deficiency," your registration will be blocked for the next registration cycle, and you will be required to connect with an Academic Advisor in LFS Student Services to discuss your plan before you will be permitted to register. If you intend on taking a suprlus of non-LFS-required courses, we encourage you to contact LFS Student Services to discuss your academic plan in detail.

Please review the UBC Academic Calendar for more information about Failed Year Standing. You can also find information about readmission to the Faculty.


Details of the application process and graduation timelines are available here.

If you are already assigned year 4 standing, you will be able to apply via your SSC. If you are not already in year 4 standing, please email LFS Student Services to request a review of your year level, or to request a 'Late Application for Graduation' after the online application window closes.

If you missed the application deadline, you may be able to submit a late graduation application in person. Please either email lfs.advising@ubc.ca or come in to LFS Student Services for more information. If you have missed the late application deadline, you will need to wait until the next degree conferral date.

Yes. Please email students@landfood.ubc.ca and request a graduation check. Be sure to include your name and student number in your request. Please note, we cannot do official graduation checks until after your registration for your final term is finalized. If you make changes to your courses after requesting a graduation check, the graduation check is no longer valid.

The ceremony dates and times can be found on the graduation site here.

If you would like to be included in the LFS Faculty composite, there will be information posted on the LFS Undergraduate Blog as it becomes available. You can find additional information about grad photos offered by UBC here (not included in the LFS Faculty composite).

Program Info

The Dietetics team has posted some helpful information on their website here.

Learn more about the differences between internships, practicums, and directed studies here.

Learn about how to switch your major here.


There are some research opportunities for undergrads within LFS - you can check them out here. You can also find other undergraduate research opportunities both inside and outside of LFS, as well as the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Club.

Yes. If you have a research opportunity outside of your Faculty/Program, you should meet with your Program Advisor to discuss your plan.


There are two main ways to get help. The first is from our faculty’s Career Strategist. The Career Strategist provides LFS students with advice, support, and workshops about job search strategies, career development, and resume and cover letter help. The second way to get help is to connect with the resources and staff at the Centre for Student Involvement and Careers.

There are so many job opportunities on campus! Work Learn offers over 2500 different employment opportunities throughout the year – from being a marketing assistant at the UBC farm to working in a lab, there are a number of positions that interest LFS students. Co-op positions are also available.

Visit CareersOnline to book 1-on-1 career advising with our Career Strategist, Rob Kim, or attend career webinars on topics from resume to job search. You will also find work and volunteer opportunities on the job board. Visit students.ubc.ca/career for career-related resources.

Getting Involved

The close-knit community of our Faculty means that there are several formal, and informal ways to get involved. If you are interested in being involved as a first-year student, consider volunteering at Agora café, or help out with Wednesday Night Dinners. If you are interested in student government, consider getting involved with LFS|US. If you want to give back to the LFS community, apply to be a Jumpstart Orientation Leader or help out with welcoming new to LFS students and be an Orientation Leader. If you are looking for more opportunities to flex your event planning muscles, join the ACE Team and be a part of a group of students who organize career and academic support for their LFS peers.

We have lots of opportunities within the Faculty and UBC open to students. Email Thilini, the LFS Student Engagement Officer, to chat about the various opportunities available to you.

Finances, Awards & Scholarships

You can find general and LFS-specific information here, but please check this website for further information.

There are some scholarships available through UBC as well as some external scholarships. For helpful information on available UBC scholarships, please click here.

Each scholarship or award has its own eligibility criteria - please read the criteria carefully. You can read more about specific scholarships and awards here.

If you are having financial difficulties, it is important to speak with your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. You can find out who your ESA is by following the instructions here.

An ESA is an Enrolment Services Advisor - All undergraduate students in a degree program at UBC have a dedicated ESA to help you navigate UBC, from making a budget or applying for student loans to understanding UBC regulations and processes. You can find more information about this here.

If you have questions about your student loan eligibility, it is best to speak with your Enrolment Services Professional. There is helpful course load guide here as well.

Additional Resources

UBC has a variety of resources available to students, some of them we've featured below:

If you can't find what you're looking for here, try using the Campus Lightbox search tool - it's an expanded student's guide to all UBC resources.

UBC International Student Advising has gathered many of the questions international students like you are wondering about in relation to immigration and health insurance on their website, so please take a look. There may be changes to your ability to work in Canada, travel to Vancouver, or apply for required immigration documents depending on your circumstances and the emerging information about COVID-19. Information is being updated regularly as new details are announced, so please bookmark this page if the content is relevant for you.

Joining us this fall? Welcome to LFS! All new students should check out the info we posted on the Welcome To LFS section of our website so you're up to date with activities and resources to support your transition in to UBC and LFS. Also, check your inboxes for an email inviting you to log in to LFS ROOTSS (Reach Out, Orientation, Transition & Study Skills) Canvas course, where you can meet your peers, connect with upper-year students, staff and faculty, attend webinars and workshops and get all your questions answered in the months ahead. We look forward to connecting with you!


Contact LFS Student Services

If, after reading through this information, you still have questions, you are welcome to contact an Academic Advisor in LFS Student Services.


Contact Us